Vinegar has been made fun of because it has never been on our TV screens or Radio adverts and seems to be one of the most unpopular things ever on being advertised. Its unpopularity might have caused the majority to overlook all the incredible things it is capable of, like cooking, fighting diseases, helping us stay young longer and helping with some medical ailments. Vinegar can be fun but dangerous at the same time due to its acidic contents so careful and considerate use of it is advised.
- Vinegar for skin
* I have shared on one of the beauty articles “a woman’s remedy for flawless skin is in the kitchen” how vinegar can cure scarred face. Apple cider vinegar (acv) mixed with equal parts water used as a daily conditioner does wonder in removing scars and melasma/chloasma on the face. Tip- I personally use this mixer on a cotton wool as make up remover if I feel lazy to wash my face. It completely takes off the make-up.
* For preventing blemishes and to have soft radiant skin – soak ¼ of vinegar and mash 3 strawberries and let them soak for 2 hours. Strain the vinegar and pat it on the face overnight. It also gives blackheads and pimple free skin.
* For the whole body treatment pour about 2 or 3 cups of it in your bathtub, this will also help with itchy skin and cools off sunburn. For women, some believe it also helps in tightening the vaginal walls naturally. Killing many birds with one stone!!
*To avoid sunburn apply a mixture of equal amounts of acv and olive oil
- Vinegar for fighting germs
* Vinegar is antibiotic and antiseptic, it kills germs on contact. Most people know that vinegar fights that bacteria that causes stomach ache, just a spoon in warm water relieves the stomach.
* To treat sore throats- 2tbs of acv in a glass of water to cure a cold because of it’s probiotic boosting acetic acid it acts as a natural cure.
* Rub twice daily on toes if you are suffering from fungus
* Ran out of deodorant? Well moisten your cloth with vinegar and wipe off your armpits to kill yeast eliminating bad odor for few hours to help you buy some time until you get to your store for shopping that necessity.
- Vinegar for memory
* It is believed that a great improvement of memory can be achieved by drinking a glass of warm water mixed with a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar before every meal.
* I have come across few who believe it also help us age gracefully affording us a long healthy life.
4. Vinegar for cooking
* Soak leafy green vegetables in water mixed with vinegar to kill germs and take out possible bugs found on them.
* You like sushi? Vinegar is mainly used to prevent germs on your raw fish and eliminates bad fish odor.
* Acts a meat tenderizer
* If you like cooking that cabbage your old fashion way a dash of vinegar will eliminate its bad odor and keep away flies.
* Few drops of vinegar in pasta as it boils cuts away starch and makes it less sticky
* When you soak your beans overnight put a small amount of acv and rinse thoroughly before cooking to avoid too much gas
* 1tbs of vinegar in your egg will boost flavor and add zest.
5. Vinegar for health
* 2tbs of acv in a large glass of water 3 times daily to fight allergies
* 1tbs in water before meals improves diabetes. Medical research has proven that its acetic acid content balances blood sugar and improves insulin sensitivity.
* Visit the website womanissues.co.za to refer to the article about “an unconventional way to a healthier body” to learn how it can help with arthritis.
* Apply undiluted acv on the skin over the varicose veins and gently massage the area. Do it every day before going to bed and again in the morning. Follow this remedy for a few months to reduce the size of varicose veins.
6. Vinegar for hair
* Mix two tablespoons acv with one cup water, and use to douse your hair after washing. Rinse thoroughly, and follow with a light conditioner. The acetic acid in acv will remove residue from product buildup and help you get shiny, lustrous locks.
* Plain vinegar is too strong to use on hair, so it’s important to dilute it with water first. Either distilled white vinegar or acv work well here.
* Since you’re using a vinegar rinse, there’s no need to condition your hair after shampooing. The rinse will leave your hair soft and smooth.
* White vinegar can kill lice on a child’s head
* Tip- vinegar can dry out your hair if you use it too often.
7. Vinegar for odor
* You can help control your litter/rubbish bin odor by using undiluted white vinegar. After removing the litter, pour about 1/2 inch of vinegar into the bottom of the litter pan and let it stand about 15 minutes. Pour it out and dry thoroughly, then sprinkle baking soda in the bottom of the pan before adding new litter.
* Have a stinky drain? Pour a cup of white vinegar down the drain, let sit 30-60 minutes then flush with water.
* Above on second issue I explained how it can eliminate armpits odor
* Pour vinegar in a small bowl overnight to eliminate odor in the room.
8. Vinegar for pets
* If you love pets then vinegar should be part of your best friends. Rinse your dog with water mixed with vinegar to eliminate dog smell and keep flies away from it. It also prevents from scratching.
* If you want to keep your cat away from a certain area of the house use vinegar on that side to keep your cat away from it.
* It also keeps cats from scratching your furniture if used on it.
* Good to keep cats away for those who want to keep those neighbors’ cats away.
9. Vinegar for laundry
* Stain remover, generally it removes a whole lot of different stains from your clothes to your carpets.
*Remove coffee, tea, grass, mustard stains by soaking overnight in water and vinegar.
* Removes static on clothes
* Freshens blankets.
* Prevents blue jeans from fading.
* Brightens colors and prevent colors from running for materials that loose and stains your water just when putting in water (sets colors)
* Softens fabric, use it on your towels as well if they lose their softness
* It makes stockings, pantyhose, and nylons last.
10. Vinegar for general household use (it cleans and disinfects)
*Pour a cup of white vinegar in the water used to clean off the floor to eliminate germs. Do not use on stone floors, marble or granite surfaces.
* Add a small amount of it when wiping off your kitchen tops as well.
*Mix vinegar with olive for a shiny and dust free furniture that lasts longer.
* For longer lasting nail polish, clean the nails with white vinegar before application.
*A great glass cleaner for your windows and keeps glasses clear from water drops stains when rinsed in it. Leaves glasses sparkling.
* Cleans car chromes.
* Cleans stainless steel
* Keeps toilet bowls cleans if a cup is poured overnight, scrub and flush in the morning.
*Are you a fresh flowers woman? Add 3tbs of sugar with 2tbs of vinegar in your vase will keep those flowers longer.
N.B Vinegar is a non-prescription health enhancer and frequent use of it can cause serious health dangers. These are not scientifically proven but remedies passed on to us by the older generation. Simple white vinegar is environmentally healthy, inexpensive, pet-friendly and does wonder. Please share with us in the comments on how your family developed their own variations and whether it works for you or not.